Sunday, January 29, 2012

Accessibility

As part of my Digital Media class at the University of Toledo, I had to go out into the city and try to capture a little bit of the Urban Landscape (which was the theme of the photoshoot) with my camera phone. After taking over a hundred pictures, I narrowed it down to 20 photos that I liked the most and I then edited them using Picnik.

The original photograph was taken with the flash off and a resolution of 5 megapixels. I tried to take the shots from different point of views and from different distances. I also tried to take it with the flash on, but from far away, it didn’t really make a difference, and when I was closer to the sign, the light would reflect on the sign to the point of almost fading the sign. After reviewing the pictures from this location, I picked this one.

In this photo, I decided to optimize the image by messing around with the lighting and the contrast between the wall, the sign and the lighting that was hitting the sign. I tried to make the focus on the actual sign, and that was something that I wasn’t getting from the original image. The focus could be the sign, but it could also be the car in the background, and I just wasn’t convinced. After trying to change the saturation of colors, and using the contrast tool to bring out the blue of the sign, I tried the neon editing tool and it blew me away. Getting rid of the noise and unnecessary objects and colors, I think helped the picture, because the focus went straight to the sign, and I can see the structure of the wall behind it. I also like the fact that it makes me wonder what’s going in the background, but I still go back to the sign as the main focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment